Friday, October 25, 2013

NLC 1301, Blog Post 4: 10/25/2013

     I currently have a internship at A.S. Johnston Elementary. I help cook foods for children, and make sure the food is safe. To ensure it is safe, I have to cook the food in the proper temperature and see how long it can be left out, before it goes bad. I also prep sacks of breakfast sandwiches for the next day. Before lunch service, cartons of milk need to be in the refrigerator at 41 degrees or less. Any meat related food, like hamburgers, chicken nuggets and/or sandwich, are ready for service if checked at 165 degrees for 15 seconds. Knowing your way around the kitchen is important too. Sanitation buckets, and wipes are important for preventing pathogens, and/or salmonella on the lab station.
     My experience doesn't support Halperin's conclusions. Being in a culinary-related internship is really stressful. I like getting paid for the work I do. Don't get me wrong, getting experience is great too. In my case, I need the money I earn for future college expenses. If I didn't have the worry of college expenses, I would consider working for free, only to get experience for future related  jobs.

No comments:

Post a Comment